Wednesday, November 23, 2011

sweet potato and me

A place within my heart
My heart within a place
A small shop in which I’ve recalled so many memories
So many memories, created in that little shop.

I love sweet potato porridge.
With tomato egg and cabbage.


It’s been a refuge as I got through the first semester of uni
Listening to silly melancholic mandarin love songs
Feeling my eyes get blurry, and my nose get fuzzy
At every thought of you being so far away

I always asked myself
Why can’t you be here?
Why can’t I be there?
Love, we're but separated by an ocean or two

It’s been here that I return to after dance lessons
After disappointments or excitements in dance
I comfort or reward myself with piping hot porridge
Defrosting myself from the cold of the long bus ride
Resting my achy muscles in the warmth of familiarity


It’s been here that I sent you those silly sweet text messages
That made you nearly drop your phone
And received the replies that made me
Smile into my sweet potato porridge

It’s been here that I bragged that I was going to have 10 dances at my wedding
And you proudly told me you were going to do the same

Well, you might still have your 10 dances, maybe...
As for me, we’ll see…

But for now
It’s sweet potato and me.

No comments: