Sunday, April 06, 2014

Bologna


So after Belgium, I flew off to Bologna for the weekend. I never thought that i'd travel to Bologna, because it just doesn't seem like a must-do on anyone's tourist map. 

It was a little more difficult getting around Bologna than in Belgium or France, for the simple reason that I can speak some french (belgium uses french too) but zero italian. so for the first time since i left home, i felt a bit helpless and lost and feeling the culture shock because I couldn't even ask for directions, ask prices or read signs. 

Luckily for me, i stayed with a very kind host who drew maps for me and gave me very specific directions to the city centre. I actually managed to get around without getting too lost. Bologna is small after all (: 

Here are some pictures of Bologna! it's definitely not very touristy, but there are pretty sights, just like in any Italian city actually. 




Apparently Bologna is famous for red brick architecture as can be seen.

I stopped for lunch at a restaurant that looked more authentic, haha no idea if it actually was legit, but it's super pretty. look at the murals and the frescoes (: Italy is definitely a beautiful place



I had wanted to try spaghetti bolognese in Bologna, but after reading a bit, i realised that they're not famous for spaghetti for tagliatelle, so i had that instead! (:


It was my first taste of italian pasta, and it definitely did not disappoint! It was awesome and i loved it that i ate it all up even though I was so full after that

After lunch, I went walking around the main square. I saw this long queue outside this building, so being a typical singaporean, i decided that it must be something good so i also went to queue. haha, after a while i asked and i found out that it was a free museum.


turns out that it was lost in translation, and it was actually the library which had a special opening of ancient ruins and excavations underground. It was usually closed to public, but they had opened it up for free that day, so i was really lucky to get to go see it.


it wasn't anything super impressive i guess, but it was still fun, and a nice italian girl was translating the commentary for me, so i knew what was going on (:



rounded off my time in bologna with my very first  italian gelato! super awesome!!! 



Love, 
Shermine

No comments: