Friday, October 12, 2012

If I gave you a piece of my heart once, you have permission to hold on to it forever.

I’m not going to forget you ever. Please know that. You might forget me but I’ll still remember everything. I’m just wired that way. Of course, a part of me is embarrassed to be the one who never forgets. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who holds on to every insignificant detail but at the end of the day, I don’t know how else to be. If I could turn it all off, if I could let all of my lovers die, perhaps I would. But that’s not my story. That’s not who I am.


When I love someone else, someone new, I will see parts of everyone in him. All of my old lovers will come together like artifacts in a museum and rest on top of my new love. You go everywhere with me, don’t you understand? If I gave you a piece of my heart once, you have permission to hold on to it forever.



-Ryan O'Connell 



This is a really delicately beautiful passage. I've always wondered, how does one forget? Is it bad to still remember the sweetness of past lovers?  I can't forget, even insignificant things years ago. It's all still within me.



ah. well. and as written by my friend:



Lovers past to lovers lost,
It was a bittersweet adventure.
As friends we know we haven't lost,
That soft spot for each other.
 

No comments: