Sunday, September 02, 2012

Lessons learnt in shooting pictures : long post


 shall also start on my post about this photoshoot that i've just done. pictures all on fb, so i shall elab on the experience instead (:

i had a lot of fun, and it was really a good experience for me (: so much better than the last shoot i did.

for background info, my last shoot was 3 years ago, and so disastrous that i never wanted to shoot again. it wasnt the photographer's fault, i was horrendously unprepared (will elaborate about that later)

but this shoot went better than i expected.

was supposed to be a portrait shoot only, but i asked for full length, for my gown's sake, so he took me to a beautiful estuary to shoot.

i was too short for him to shoot the skyline, so he made me climb up a rock and perch there.

this section of the shoot was physically demanding. it was cold, under 10 degrees and of course very strong sea breeze. with my 'wings' open, it was like a parachute even, and i fell off once.

i like this monkey shot of me :D


 and this is probably my favorite shot of the day. the color of the clouds are real

we were very lucky to catch a perfect sunset. (:  the sky is so magnificent

he was also very professional. after we shot the full length gown pictures, whilst waiting for the sun to set, he made me put on my coat and sit with the heater on. so that i will not get goose bumps which will show up on the photo. hahahah ok la, for my welfare too. i hope. haha

 i was literally shaking with cold after 10 minutes of being blasted by wind. my skin started flaking immediately as well. i was trembling, and he was telling me to hang in there, and keep smiling, keep lifting, keep arching. i wanted to drop off the rock n die. haha at one point my knees were shaking and i was wobbling on the rock, trying to maintain my balance whilst being blown by the wind.

but he kept telling me, "u look like a butterfly! it will be worth it! hang in there!" hahaha as though im doing some extreme sports. lol and all i was doing was standing around pretending to look pretty. 


i told him afterwards tt i had newfound respect for professional models. haha not easy at all.


but even though this first part was more physically challenging, the second one was tough on me too.

portrait and close up shots usually turn out quite bad and i know it too. hahah

n he was pretty unsatisfied with my smiling and posing, hahah, but then he said since i have beautiful hair n shoulder bone structure, we should focus on the hair.

i was happy to oblige, cos my jaw was stiff from fake smiling also.

n he said i had beautiful hair! I was thus willing to flip my hair for him about 100 plus times i think.

im secretly very pleased with the color of my hair now, especially since its self dyed, not professionally done

up and down, then left and right. haha, controlling facial expressions was tough while flipping hair too. but easier than smiling.


grumpy already, refusing to smile hahaha
oops bad flip
yay! finally! 



he would literally just say '1, 2, 3, go' on repeat mode, so i would just continuously flip until he told me to break.

i was so dizzy after that.

but yeaps, good experience, better pictures than the first shoot and i am actually happy to have these pictures as a memory (:




Why i shot these pictures? 

- inspired by this article 'I want to have a beauty queen moment',

What I long for is a moment where at that point in time I look the very best that I can.

She said most people have it on their wedding day, but im more selfish. i want pictures that i dont have to share with another person. hahahaha. :D

article link: 

http://www.more.com/wanted-beauty-queen-moment


yepyeps, i guess im very vain, but its something to look back on when age has robbed my youth and my figure is no longer graceful.

as i said, i have seen too many old dancers who are a shadow of what they used to be. so i just want to capture this fleeting youth before its gone. and it will be gone one day..







No comments: